so. i have to say that having a #manmonday has really been good for our marriage over here. and really it’s been good for my man to try making some things that he has been whining for for months…
he told me of this fried avocado taco that he had at some hole-in-the-wall taco shop here in san diego for a work lunch one day and would. not. stop. talking. about. it.
and since tacos and avocados are so san diego, i think you should give it a go. they were amazing!
so the following was written for #manmonday by my man Chris,
the other foodie/techie/nerd in the house.
Out of chicken, pork, beef, or fish and really craving a taco? The avocado has got you covered.
Try out this recipe for fried avocado tacos with jalapeno ranch dressing and crush that craving.
- Fried Avocado:
- 2 Avocados
- 1 Cup Panko Breading (or finely crushed crackers or pretzels works too)
- 1 Cup Flour
- 2 Eggs – beaten
- 4 Cups Vegetable oil
- Jalapeno Ranch Dressing:
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Ranch seasoning
- 1/2 jalapeno
- 1/4 yellow onion – chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- Black Bean Garnish:
- 1/2 Can black beans – drained
- 1/4 Yellow onion – chopped
- 3 Green onions – sliced
- 1 Clove garlic – chopped
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro – chopped
what to do
Black Bean Garnish
1. Heat black beans in pan until warm (we’re not cooking the beans, just warming them)
2. Add yellow onion, green onion, garlic, and cilantro and stir until all ingredients are warm. Turn off heat and cover.
Jalapeno Ranch Dressing
1. Mix sour cream, milk, and ranch mix to make a ranch dressing (or use store bought ranch dressing)
2. Combine jalapeno, yellow onion, and garlic with ranch dressing and blend together until smooth
1. Fill medium sized sauce pan with vegetable oil, high enough to completely cover a slice of avocado (approximately 1″ deep) and heat to 350 degrees.
2. While oil is heating, slice avocados lengthwise into 8 slices per avocado
3. Season sliced avocado with salt
4. Layout flour, eggs, and panko into 3 separate dishes in that order
5. Prepare avocados for frying as follows
a. coat avocado in flour, tap off excess flour
b. coat avocado in egg
c. coat avocado in panko mix
6. Gently place prepared avocados in vegetable oil. Fry until golden brown (about 15 seconds, check frequently)
7. Place fried avocados on paper towel to drain
Some Assembly Required:
Place the black bean garnish, jalapeno ranch dressing, and fried avocados on a warm white corn tortilla. Add green salsa, cheese, chopped yellow, chopped green onion, and a squeeze of lime and enjoy!
- angels singing | back to school – July 24, 2017
- Strawberries and Spring Break – April 3, 2017
- Quitting my business, and [almost] Quitting blogging… – March 15, 2017
- DIY Gumball Machine ornaments for my Colorful Christmas tree! – December 5, 2016
- Thanksgiving in Arizona – November 28, 2016