3 year old construction party & free printables

my 3-year-old is obsessed with construction. figures.
Boss 3rd birthday invite construction party

there really wasn’t another option for a party for this guy.

if you know us, i mean, outside of blogland, or have seen the few videos of this kid’s crazy knowledge of construction vehicles, you’d be like, “WHAAA?” he’s nuts.

he knows everything, and he points them out everywhere we go.

if i don’t know what it is, he’ll tell me. “boss, what’s that truck?”
“dats a boom wift, mom. and it’s blue.” {just in case that was my next question…}
smarty pants.

so we threw together this construction party, planning for a perfect outdoor sunny day in san diego.
it poured. hard.

so we reconvened at the church building where there is a nursery for kids and lots of toys… tons of parking, and a kitchen. it worked out much better than we intended in the first place!

the invite, i sent out using celebrations.com. it’s my favorite e-vite site cause they let you upload your own design. and it’s prettier. if you would like to use my construction invite design, i added it to the printables you can download here.

construction party food sign cake dump truck

between cc’s collection of work items, and a lot of construction toys of boss’s,
the table came together pretty quick actually…

that’s cc’s real hard hat that he wore at the last job site a lot.
{he works for a contractor}
the orange homer box of course came from home depot, and was $8!
it held the bread and meat and cheese for our “build your own sandwich bar”.
my mom found this perfect little dumptruck at target, perfect size for the dump cake.

{the cake is a store-bought pre-made cake from smart n final with peanut butter cups and peanut butter oreo crumbs on it. i have to admit, the decision to do a pre-made cake was probably the best one we made. it was goood and took only a few minutes to throw together!}

construction party food sign banner printable chalkboard

we found lots of “look-alike” foods and just used these chalkboard labels from hobbie lobby.
the “fuel” is just yoohoo chocolate milk with labels stuck on em. {chocolate milk is one of boston’s faves!}

graham crackers = ply wood
chocolate doughnuts = spare tires
cutie oranges = wrecking balls
cutlery = tools
red vines = drill bits

and we had lots of dip, so we did veggies, hummus, apples, that amazing salted caramel apple dip, and chips….

construction party food sign
B was a big fan of the food,
1 point for mom.
construction party house paint project  and eating

boss looked perfect.
just a little dude.
we had these work boots, i think from grandma clifford,
and he finally fits into them and LOVES them.

i really wanted him to have a cool shirt that matched so i used my dump truck that i used on the prints we made, and tried my hand at that freezer paper shirt that everyone keeps pinning.
so. easy. so. cool!  {just print design on freezer paper, cut out with an exacto, iron on, paint, let dry, and peel it off. genius. almost embarassingly genius.}

DIY freezer paper shirt fabric paint dump truckhere’s the template if you want to make your own:
I couldn’t find one, so I made one… 😉
dump truck shirt

just open in a new window, right click, and save to print!

but we needed a project too, cause it wouldn’t be a job site without something to “work” on…
so i ordered this cute cardboard house from amazon. the kids loved it!
we had older siblings there and the older kids were all over this one… we just let em at it cause i also had the good washable paint…

construction party house paint project
construction party house paint project 2 rain boots
this one here was in his happy place.
i could hardly get him to look at me because he was so busy…
 + 200 mom points
 construction party house paint project 2
my other favorite part was our über cheap party favors.
i called up home depot and told them we were doing a party.
they told me to come down and they’d give me aprons for free
{the ones they give out at the free kids workshop every first saturday….
we are SO doing that next month}
they had huge reusable bags there for .50 and those construction pencils…
then i ran around the corner to the dollar store and found some little construction trucks…
we printed little tags and boom, these favors came in at about 1.60 a piece!
+100 {my friend has a cool mom} points
construction party favors home depot orange cheap
i kept asking boss how he liked everything
and i always got a crazy jumbled excited answer that included lots of running and bouncing.
which might be due to the higher intake of sugar… but i’ll take it…
the day before he kept telling me out of the blue,
“you, are one dynamite gal….dynamite gal….
dynamite gal….”

construction party food sign cake dump truck 2
i think it’s safe to say that he loved it.
thanks to everyone who came and for my parents for coming and making it so special for boss!
{and the clifford g-rents for live-video-ing everyone singing all day}
if you’d like to use any of these printables,
feel free to click here to download them.

construction party free printable signs decorations party favors

LIKE THIS POST?

Sign up and I’ll send you my printable planner with meal planning as a THANK YOU.

We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

About Meg

I am Meg, a photographer and designer and a wish-i-owned-a-house-er. My husband and I are self-declared foodies and LOVE projects. We blog about food and DIY adventures from sunny San Diego with our two cutie kids and have an apparel line at colormeapparel.com to keep us busy. Email me at colormemegblog@gmail.com to work with me!

31 comments on 3 year old construction party & free printables

1. Julie Bryson
    June 27, 2014 at 8:10 pm (3 years ago)

Meg!! Where did you get your dump truck printable? I am trying to find it so I can make Brody a shirt for his party but I can’t find one anywhere.

Meg
      June 30, 2014 at 10:36 am (3 years ago)

I have a template! I will send it over! 😉

• crystal
        September 1, 2014 at 6:10 pm (3 years ago)

hey can you send it to me please

Meg
          September 3, 2014 at 11:21 am (3 years ago)

It is here on the post to download. 😉 Thanks!

• Teianna
      September 24, 2014 at 9:23 am (3 years ago)

Hi Meg, My son is having his 5th b-day party next week & I would love to get your templates for the Food labels.
      Is there any way I can get my fingers on your creativeness??
      🙂

TeiAnna

2. Nicole
    July 9, 2014 at 8:49 pm (3 years ago)

Hi! I love your DIY shirt idea. Would you mind sharing the place or link where you found your dump truck template? I would be so appreciative! We are getting ready for a construction party for my little guy, too!

Meg
      July 11, 2014 at 11:15 am (3 years ago)

I will email it to you! 😉

3. bridget rodgers
    August 28, 2014 at 8:21 am (3 years ago)

Hi! I love all of this!! Where did you get your birthday invitation?

Meg
      August 28, 2014 at 2:30 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks! I made the invite 😉

• Lori Grevstad
        October 10, 2014 at 8:32 pm (3 years ago)

Link for the invite says it no longer available. Anyway I can still get it directly thru you? My son sounds like Boston’s twin! I have found myself determining my route to the grocery store so that we can drive THROUGH construction zones, as opposed to avoiding them like most people. Isn’t it amazing how an almost 3 year old knows all the names of the vehicles and exactly what they do?? I am missing a great evite — tried to create one myself but just not happy with it. Hoping you can share…will make the party a home run!! THANKS.

Meg
          October 11, 2014 at 5:20 pm (3 years ago)

The invite wasn’t on there, but the signs and the shirt were… I can probably get you a background of the one I made. Watch your email! 😉

• Lori Grevstad
            October 13, 2014 at 7:47 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks so much Meg. I just finished the invite and it looks great. You rock!

4. Allison
    September 15, 2014 at 12:06 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Meg-

I found your son’s birthday party on Pinterest and would like to represent the East Coast. Our son Justin loves all construction vehicles! Thank you for all these great ideas and inspirations for his birthday party!
    You have a new faithful reader in NJ- Alli

Meg
      September 15, 2014 at 12:35 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you! I’m glad you liked them! 😉

5. Judy Davis
    September 17, 2014 at 11:30 am (3 years ago)

do you have a free template for the BOSTON TURNS 3 Sign?
    one that i can add my name and age to?
    thanks!

Meg
      September 22, 2014 at 10:14 am (3 years ago)

Oh dang it- I don’t think I have that one anymore! It would be easy to change up one of the signs here though {in the printables} to blank it out and start over… Sorry about that! I should have included it!

6. Janien
    October 12, 2014 at 4:50 am (3 years ago)

My son is turning 3! He loves construction sites and bob the builder! Can you please help me with ideas and printable logos ect! We are based in South Africa and hard to find it local!

Thank you so much!

7. Senta
    October 12, 2014 at 8:30 pm (3 years ago)

By FAR the best most realistically doable construction party theme I have seen! I love it all. I can’t seem to get to the printables and wondered what size paper the sign print outs were? Thanks so much for sharing this!

Meg
      October 12, 2014 at 11:38 pm (3 years ago)

All of the printables are on standard 8.5 by 11 paper. I will update the link for you!

8. Victoria
    November 30, 2014 at 10:23 am (3 years ago)

Do you have any free printables for this party idea? Thanks!

Meg
      November 30, 2014 at 7:17 pm (3 years ago)

Yes! They are included in this post. 😉

9. Michelle
    December 23, 2014 at 12:40 pm (3 years ago)

wondering what font you used on these?

10. Christina
    December 31, 2014 at 8:28 am (3 years ago)

Hi meg, I’m having a construction themed bday party for my son. Can you send me the link for the printables ?

Meg
      January 3, 2015 at 10:21 am (3 years ago)

the link is here in the post! Good luck- let me know when you do! I love seeing how the parties turn out! 😉

11. jessica
    January 3, 2015 at 4:19 pm (3 years ago)

I tried downloading the link for the printable and it says it’s only available in .zip – when I save it, it will not open in Microsoft. Do you know how you opened it or saved it originally? Thanks so much!

Meg
      January 6, 2015 at 3:43 pm (3 years ago)

It is a zip file, which includes multiple files. You will need a way to unzip it. There are a few programs that do this {Macs do it automatically}, but if it doesn’t unzip on its own, you can go to an online unzipper. Just google “free file unzip” and you should find one… sorry about that!

12. susie
    January 12, 2015 at 3:41 pm (3 years ago)

I love this! We are doing a construction party for my son next month and these are great ideas! What did you print on? Also, do you have any great ideas for favors? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

13. Jen R
    February 8, 2015 at 8:21 pm (2 years ago)

Any chance I could get you to email me the invite, with the blue wording editable? I’d love to have it orange instead of blue for my construction truck crazy almost 5 yr old! Your Party is GREAT!

14. Heather Torrez
    February 11, 2015 at 3:58 pm (2 years ago)

I love all of your ideas. Thank you so much for sharing them…they are exactly what I was looking for. How do I go about editing the invite to add in my own wording?
    Thanks in advance for your help!

Meg
      February 13, 2015 at 7:53 am (2 years ago)

When you download the printables {link in the post}, the words are removed for the times/dates…etc. If you wanted to change the other words, you would need to erase them or cover them with white {digitally} before you could add your own words. They aren’t editable, the file will be like using an image. Hope that helps!

• Heather Torrez
        February 20, 2015 at 3:38 pm (2 years ago)

I love your wording. Sorry, I figured out how to make it editable. Thank you! What font did you use? I would love to make it similar to yours.
        Thanks again!